Kentucky Chamber of Commerce Executives (KCCE) Mentoring Program
Many things are changing in the chamber world: dues and revenue structures, workforce demographics, business models, and chamber leadership. The Kentucky Chamber of Commerce Executives (KCCE) Mentoring Program is a platform where chamber leaders can formally come together in a mentor-mentee capacity. The resources in this toolkit are designed to help you find, sustain, and excel in your mentoring relationships.
Mentoring at KCCE
Mentoring is a career development strategy where mentors facilitate the development of learners by sharing known resources, expertise, values, skills, perspectives, attitudes and proficiencies. Mentoring builds mentees' skills and provides mentors the opportunity to share proven leadership knowledge and techniques in leading chambers.
At KCCE, mentoring is a self-directed program that connects chamber professionals from across the country to collaborate one-on-one on key chamber topics.
Types of Mentoring
Career Mentoring Career development engagements are individually crafted, one-to-one mentorships that focus on the specific competency and development needs of the learner.
Situational Mentoring Situational engagements give individuals a way to address immediate learning needs with one or more advisors. Several people can offer solutions and ideas at the same time so that learners get quick answers on a high-impact issue, problem, challenge, or opportunity within a short amount of time.
Benefits of Mentoring
Benefits for Mentors:
- Proven method to share ideas, try new skills, and take risks
- Enhanced capacity to translate values and strategies into productive actions
- Extensive information about the larger organization and the current business issues in other parts of the business
- Identification of opportunities to enhance personal contributions to the future of the company
- Increased awareness of personal biases, assumptions and areas for improvement
- Renewed enthusiasm for role as expert
- Personal fulfillment by investing in others
Benefits for Mentees:
- Insight into the pros and cons of various career options and paths
- Increased self-awareness and self-discipline
- An expanded personal network
- A sounding board for testing ideas and plans
- Positive and constructive feedback on professional and personal development areas
- Accelerated training and development
Time Requirements and Cost
You and your mentoring partner will decide how often to get together, how long you should meet each time, and the duration of the mentoring engagement. Most partners typically meet 1-2 hours per month.
KCCE’s Mentoring Program is free to all KCCE members.
Mentor / Mentee Expectations
Mentors are Expected To:
- Accept or decline the invitations you receive within two (2) business days
- Have reasonable expectations of the learner(s)
- Be a resource
- Provide feedback
- Allocate time and energy
- Help learner(s) develop appropriate plans
- Follow through on commitments or renegotiate appropriately
Not Expected To:
- Drive the relationship
- Do the work for the learner(s)
- Manage learners as their supervisors
- Be an expert in every area
- Provide personal counseling